This past September, the Musee National des Beaux in Quebec launched the 86,111-sf Pierre Lassonde Pavilion, a $103.4-million expansion project that will add new space for meeting/event groups. The design for the new pavilion was selected during the first international architecture competition held in Québec City. Construction should be completed by 2015.
The construction project also includes a new tunnel linking the new pavilion to the Charles-Baillargé Pavilion, the former site of the Quebec City Prison. Renovations will also include current exhibit spaces, the onsite restaurant, shop and lobby and enhancements to the building’s exterior.
The museum features the largest collection of local Québec art in the world with over 37,000 works dating from the 17th century to the present by more than 4,000 artists. As time passes, the collection continues to evolve, adding more to the permanent collection and the rotating exhibits that travel throughout the country.
The Musée is located on the 100-acre Battlefield Park within the city centre, a lush and earthy location for a welcome reception or al fresco meal with great views of the St. Lawrence River. The facility is comprised of three buildings, including the Gerard-Morisset building, filled with sculpted ceilings and columns with intricate detail at the base, a traditional look found with Neoclassical architecture. The space was designed by architect Wilfrid Lacroix in 1933.
Other spaces include the Great Hall, a totally modern space that was added to the historic facility at the opening of the museum in 1991.The expansive space is lined with transparent glass walls, granite facing and a vegetation-topped roof. Planners can combine the hall with the auditorium and Café Restaurant for groups up to 1,000 pax, book a guided workshop with one of the museum professionals for a creative team activity, enjoy a guided tour throughout the facility, or try to recreate one of the in-house masterpieces using household materials.