Two new exciting Trump hotels are about to debut this year. Groups can soon experience a touch of Barcelonian culture on the coast of Panama and ultra-luxury in the financial hub of Toronto.
On July 6, the Trump Ocean Club International Hotel & Tower Panama will open in the peninsula of Punta Pacifica, five minutes away from downtown Panama City. Resembling a fully-deployed sailboat, the 369-room waterfront property devotes more than 46,000 sf of indoor and outdoor meeting space. It comes complete with a grand ballroom, oceanfront terraces, a wine bar and three restaurants overseen by Executive Chef Daniel Bausà Peris, whose background includes Italian and Iberian cuisines. A native of Barcelona, he also worked at The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans, so he knows seafood and he knows how to spice things up.
Groups can get a mix of local flavors with a touch of Iberian influences in every dish. At Tejas Restaurant & Bar, daily fresh catches are cooked and seasoned to fit every mood. For stronger palates, Peris grills fresh fish crusted in sea salt and zesty Caribbean spices.
For something wholly authentic, try your fish Tikin-Xic style, a Yucatec Mayan specialty featuring dry fish prepared whole and marinated with adobo, sour oranges and achiote, a spice paste made from the Annatto tree blended with cumin, cloves and pepper. The fish is then wrapped in a banana leaf and cooked in an earth oven beneath a wood fire. It’s true local experience–a Latin luau, if you will.
To showcase the chef’s Barcelonian roots, BARcelona Tapas Restaurant & Bar will feature an array of tapas like the traditional Salmorejo gazpacho topped with quail egg and Spanish ham. For a more local experience, the menu also includes Sancocho, a traditional Panamanian chicken soup flavored with cilantro, oregano, onions and garlic.
Outdoors, the fare is somewhat lighter around the Azul Pool Bar & Grill. The deck overlooks the Pacific Ocean where groups up to 250 can take in the scintillating views while sharing coconut shrimp and mango mojitos.
Trump Tower Toronto
Opening toward the end of the year, the 261-room Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto will deliver a luxurious and sophisticated design with an overall design ethos showcasing stone, steel and glass on the exterior, and groundbreaking interior design within. The hotel was designed from the ground up by Ivanka Trump in conjunction with Talon Development and interior design firm, II BY IV Design Associates. Total function space tops 46,000 sf.
Here are some of the design high notes:
- In the porte-cochère, a wall mosaic by Canadian artist Stephen Andrews shows a textural pattern of mother of pearl, onyx and ebony when viewed up close. Step back, and a scene unfolds of a stadium filled with cheering people.
- A 3-dimensional backlit crystal cherry blossom branch is set behind the lobby’s reception desk that will be a key focal point upon arrival. A lighting artisan from the Czech Republic was flown into Toronto to note the precise points of connection of the myriad light sources to ensure a perfect spectrum of glow.
- The Presidential Suite will be the highest and largest of its kind in Toronto. Business conversations and film screenings will benefit from the suite’s soundproof media room.
- A signature restaurant on the 31st floor will feature artwork inspired by in-vogue fashions and furnishings of the 1950s and 1960s, like an Art Deco cognac armoire in the private dining room.
- The spa and wellness facilities, spread over two floors, will include a 65-foot saltwater lap pool.